Monday, April 2, 2012

Adding Another Doc to the Mix

I am have been completely overwhelmed with work lately and haven't had a spare moment to think about the blog although there are so many things going on.

Last week, I got the 2nd round of blood test results back from RE #4.  Apparently, I have low Factor VIII and tested positive for Anti-nuclear Antibodies (ANA).  The Factor 8 is another blood clotting disorder thing and the positive ANA indicates inflammation (can be associated with autoimmune issues).  RE #4 asked me to go see a hematologist so I booked the earliest appointment I could get and I will be going next Wednesday.  I am hoping for no more blood work, but can't rule it out. I am just hoping this doc tells me which drugs he thinks we should add to my protocol, writes me the RX and I can go on my merry way. My guess, is they'll suggest either Lovenox or Heparin in addition to baby Aspirin.

For the ANA result, generally steroids are taken to help with inflammation - prednisone specifically.

So now, herein lies the dilemma. I asked my current RE for these additional test and he said I didn't need them. I wanted the peace of mind before starting another round of IVF so we got the tests done anyway with RE #4.  Now that we have discovered some issues, I want my current RE to treat me for them.  I am not sure he can argue with the test results though and if I push for the extra medication, I hope he'd add them.

I don't think he'd have an issue with baby aspirin and a RX for Folgard - but perhaps the Lovenox/Heparin and/or prednisone. I really want to take all the medications that I need to increase our chances for success. I am just not sure how he'd feel about me "going behind his back" and asking him to add drugs to "his" protocol.  But in the end, I'm the patient and I have the tests to back up the requests.

I am just nervous he won't be on board with this plan and I'll have to change REs AGAIN!  I emailed my nurse this morning asking her to have the doc call me to discuss. I'm so nervous but I have to remember that I need to be my own advocate and speak up for how I am feeling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment