Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Today's Bloodwork

Mark my words, I will never ever ever again complain about getting blood draws for fertility or other purposes. Piece of cake compared to the horrible experience I had this morning giving my blood for the immune work-up. 

First of all...this quick little in and out appointment that the nurse said we'd encounter - not so quick.  But she hands me my vials so I can go get my blood drawn on the bottom floor and there were 18 vials. Yes, 18 vials folks! I counted. E had 4.  I had about 6 that were jumbo, 6 that were regular size and 6 that were small.

So she starts drawing blood from my right arm. Quick prick and we're pumping - no problem. About 4 jumbo vials in and 3 whole mins of blood flow...my arms starts to tingle and I am getting a little warm. The nurse says that because there's so many vials, they will likely have to use both arms because my blood will start to clot. Sure enough, 4 vials later - blood stops coming. 

At this point, I think I'm going to faint.  I've never fainted before but the warm, nauseous, sweaty, tingly feeling I had was spot on I'm told. She pricked me again on the left arm....I managed to make it through the rest but I thought I was going to vomit all over the white floor. 

I am a blood-giving champion today and I so hope this testing allows us to make a better decision with treatment moving forward.    

No comments:

Post a Comment