Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Veteran IVF-ers, Have You Seen This?

I'm a planner, researcher, and review reader by nature so prior to picking out our second clinic (where we've found success) I of course scoured over the SART data.  Who does the most cycles, what are their success rates? I created spreadsheet after spreadsheet to help compare clinics, knowing that there were of course things that could not be compared.

Upon embarking on our journey for #2, I once again looked up my clinic's recent stats.  And most recently when we were deciding whether or not to do PGS, I also looked at how many cycles they completed.  It wasn't until just now though, that I went back to the SART site and saw a disclaimer that I've never seen before.

It states: "The data presented in this report should not be used for comparing clinics. Clinics may have differences in patient selection, treatment approaches, and cycle reporting practices which may inflate or lower pregnancy rates relative to another clinic. Please discuss this with your doctor."

WTF!?!?!? Of course I knew in the back on my head that we weren't always comparing apples to apples here with clinics, but now SART is calling it out.  As if we infertiles didn't have enough on our plates, they're telling us there's a whole slew of data behind this data that they're not telling us. We're being misled.  I guess in the end, it's better that we have the disclaimer, but still - it leads me to wonder why SART even posts data then in the first place.  I mean if there are so many variables as they've described, they're basically telling people that their data can't be trusted. It's useless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment