Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Little Chickadee

During stims I often get this weird feeling - as if I'm a mother hen sitting on my eggs, protecting them.  It's very strange and E likes to tease me that I'm his little chickadee.  Well after yesterday's retrieval, I was certainly one busy little chikadee, that's for sure.

The retrieval itself went pretty smoothly. I was very nervous by my RE wouldn't let me have any Valium which I was pissed about.  Everything ran on time, I met the doc who would be doing my retrieval. I am at a large practice so my doctor doesn't always do my procedures.  Doc seemed nice enough - we went over the procedure, ICSI, assisted hatching if needed, my matching set of endometriomas.

I woke up in recovery not feeling so hot so the nurse immediate gave me some pain meds. She came back about 10 mins later with the results. They retrieved 28 eggs! I had to ask the nurse to repeat herself because I wasn't sure what she had said. The first words out of my mouth were "No wonder I felt like sh*t over the weekend."  Hahah I guess I shouldn't have said that in front of the nurse, but I wasn't feeling like myself.

After the nurse left, I started to cry.  I am so deathly afraid that the same thing that happened with our 19 eggs last time will happen again with our 28.  We had so few fertilize last time even with such a high number of eggs. I cried because I'm tired of all this, I'm scared, I'm worried they fried my eggs and overstimmed me despite the change in protocol. I'd much rather have 10 good eggs that 28 fried ones.

The nurse came back about 10 mins later (seemed like forever though) and asked how I was feeling - not so good I told her.  I was in a lot of pain and actually quite nauseous.  She gave me another round of pain meds and something to help with the nausea. Only side effect she told me was that it would make me thirsty.  Bring it on - thirsty I can deal with, nauseous - not so fun.

I spent most of the day napping and reading in front of the TV. Neither of us got very much sleep last night as we're anxiously awaiting the fertilization report.  No news yet and it's killing me. I am so nervous this is all over with. The only thing I'm hanging onto is the ICSI which we added this time.  All I can do now is cross my fingers.

UPDATE: Just got the news... out of the 28 eggs, 10 were mature. I was thinking that a lot of them wouldn't really count as I have PCOS.  Anyway, out of the 10 mature eggs, we had 8 fertilize. I will have to wait for tomorrow to see if we're going to do a 3 day transfer or a 5 day transfer. I just hope they all keep growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment