Monday, October 22, 2012

Childbirth Class

Sunday was our childbirth class at the hospital where we are going to deliver.  OMG, just a normal pregnant lady taking her tour of the hospital.  It was definitely surreal because I vividly remember visiting a close friend on the arrival of her first born at the same hospital.  On the way out of the visit about 2 years ago, we caught a glimpse of pregnant couples on their tour.  I was so jealous of them and longed to be in their shoes.  Funny cause E remembered the exact same thing and we both reminisced about our feelings that day and the contrast of the present moment. Very special indeed.

The class itself was very straightforward and informative. We went over medications, stages of labor, when to call the doctor, relaxation techniques, post partum - all sorts of things. Our instructor had been a nurse for almost 30 years and she served as a doula to her daughter's recent delivery.  I liked that she offered both mainstream and alternative approaches without being judgmental or a "know-it-all."  It was a long day for us though and I was pretty tired that evening.

We had our 28 week appointment this morning which included an ultrasound to check on my placenta. Good news - it's moved up right to where it needs to be so I'm off pelvic rest which I think basically that means no intercourse but I don't think we had to worry about that anyway. E and I are both afraid of what intercourse might do to this little guy. I know our fears are unfounded, but still.

Baby boy is measuring about 4 days ahead at 2lbs 15oz. Almost 3 whole pounds which is great.  He was in there, just chilln' out - moving his legs and drinking the tech told us.  Gestational diabetes check came back in just fine so we're cleared for our next appointment in about 3 weeks.

Wednesday we leave to head to a family friend's wedding in my hometown. It will be a long flight, but docs said I will be fine. Just drink lots of water and take a baby aspirin before, the day of ,and day after flight. Wednesday night is also my first baby shower which I'm absolutely thrilled about.

I can't wait to meet this little guy, but I also don't want the holidays to rush right by.  Especially considering how absolutely horrible last year's holidays were.

1 comment: