Friday, May 16, 2014

Grasping at Straws

For the past month I've been trying to find things wrong with me, so we could fix them and then this FET would be sure to work. Could it be my uterus? Open up - let's check. Nope, no smoking gun in there.

Now I've turned to my thyroid levels which the last RE we saw for a second opinion mentioned I should check. So I started researching further...kind of a back to basics thing. Here's what I know so far.

Thyroid levels are measured by TSH and T4. If TSH is high and T4 is low then you're diagnosed as hypothyroid which I've never been. Normal values for TSH are debatable it seems. Most REs say yours should be between 1-2.5 for optimal conception, but lab levels state that between 1-4 is "normal." My RE has stated that my most recent TSH level if 3.79 is nothing to worry about because I've never been diagnosed as having a hypothyroid - my T4 has been fine. Hmmmm...I've never been tested for that T4 postpartum.... so to double-check, I'm getting the panel done today.

My history of TSH thus far:

11/5/2010: TSH = 2.04 and T4= 1.38  ALL NORMAL and OPTIMAL for conception
11/8/2011: TSH = 2.84 Higher but never put on any meds
2/15/2012: TSH = 3.369 Even higher still, no meds and conceived healthy baby 2 months later
9/18/2014: TSH = 3.79 Whoa now we're getting closer to the limit, but RE said he's not worried


AHHCKK, so what to do?  Almost all the boards have been saying their RE's want their TSH lower to 2.5 or 2 range. I've certainly conceived outside of that range so I'm not sure what to believe. I trust my doctor that's for sure, but what if this is the missing link?

It would take some time to get my thyroid back to normal so if my RE decided to put me on meds, we'd necessarily be delayed with this last FET. I'm sure I'd be sad to delay but if warranted, we would delay.  Better safe than sorry with this last FET, right? I'm confused so I read more online and found an article here which has helped me to understand my RE's point of view:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3124612/

Basically, it states that my borderline high level of TSH was not associated with adverse ART outcomes. So there's research there that backs it up, but still - if we can fix it and get it lower, should we do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment